Sunday, June 11, 2017

Brooklyn House Restaurant

Brooklyn House Restaurant
This is the most difficult post I’ve ever had to write.
On Thursday June 29th, we will serve our last dinner and close our doors for good.
Of course, there have been a multitude of factors adding up over the years to bring us to this decision. Ultimately, though, it came down to the fact that I am ready to start my family and it is clear that I cannot possibly run this restaurant and raise a child. Both commitments are too great, and at this point, I’m choosing family.
This breaks my heart because I had hoped that I could do both. This house has been so much more than a restaurant and this crew has been so much more than a group of co-workers. We all wanted to raise our families here together, and with all of you. The learning and growing, the caring and communion we have shared has been extraordinary. We are deeply proud of what we’ve done and we wish we could do more. Unfortunately, we are giving all we have to give and it isn’t nearly enough. As frustrating and disappointing as it is, we are finally ready to let go.
I have already told a few people who are near and dear to The BH, and this is essentially what I’ve told them:
It would have made all rational and financial sense to close when the fire happened, but we just couldn’t....
because of the intensity of devotion from our customers;
because of the overwhelmingly positive and specific feedback from people in all walks of life;
because of the gratitude from our local farmers, artisans and purveyors;
because of the resources we provided to doctors and patients from around the world;
because of the joy we brought to families who could finally eat out together;
because of the ecstasy people felt when they had their first meal in a restaurant without getting sick or being treated like a burden, or their first meal out in however many years…
What I am struggling to convey is that we really did try to stick it out for you folks because we are acutely aware of what we have meant to so many of you. We know because you have told us why you love us and showed us by coming in regularly. It has been exhilarating and sincerely amazing, a ton of fun and very informative.
If it weren’t for these few key things that have added up over the years, if I were five years younger, if we had gotten this popular a little bit sooner….maybe I wouldn’t be writing this.
But they did, and I’m not, and we didn’t…so I am.
And I am so so so sorry.
We have all our fingers and toes crossed for a new restaurant from Matt Wells, the incredible chef who is the one and only reason this place was ever possible. Stay tuned for more on that in the coming months. And if something does happen, please support it and let it stand on its own two feet rather than comparing it to The BH.
Please come see us in these next couple weeks if you can.
We want to say goodbye.

0 comments: